View and manage your time-tracking data in the timesheet view
Starting and stopping records
Re-start timesheet records
- Click one of your last activities in the modal, opened through the upper toolbar - this will start a record for the same customer/project & activity “now”
- Click the restart action from one of the records in your timesheet - this will start a record for the same customer/project & activity “now” and copy description and tags
Start new records
- Clicking the big play button in the toolbar (if no record is active right now)
- Click the “+” action is the upper right page actions to open the “edit new record” modal
- Select a time-range in the calendar (deactivated if the timeclock-mode is active)
- Click a day in the calendar (deactivated if the timeclock-mode is active)
- Click the stop button in the “active records” dropdown in the upper toolbar
- Click the stop action in the running record in your timesheet
- Save a running record after setting an end date (deactivated if the timeclock-mode is active)
Problem: cannot be stopped
Kimai has rules in place, to prevent excessive long timesheets from being accidentally created.
When a user tries to create such a timesheet, or tries to stop such a timesheet, a warning will be shown:
You have several options to solve this problem. All of them involve that the user opens the timesheet listing and finds the record (usually the last one created):
- Edit the record and set a different start date
- Edit the record and set a different end date
- Edit the record and set a shorter duration
- Delete the record from the listing
An administrator can fix the problem by opening the
All times view and filtering the user.
Administrators can also configure the duration for this check or deactivate it entirely at System > Settings > Timesheet.
Please read the full documentation about accepted inputs for the duration format.
00:00as duration will also stop the entry with a duration of zero seconds
- to create a running entry the
durationfield needs to be empty
Exported records will be locked to prevent manipulation of cleared data.
edit_exported_timesheet does allow editing and deletion of these
locked entries nevertheless, which by default is given to users with
Billable vs. not billable
Since version 1.14 you can define whether a timesheet record is billable or not.
Non-billable timesheets are excluded from invoices and budget calculations.
Please read the billable documentation to understand the
Filter and search
The search supports filtering by the fields:
user(only in team timesheets)
state(running / stopped)
Besides these filters, you can query for a free search term, which will be searched in the fields:
Additionally, you can filter for custom fields by using a search phrase like
This would find all entries with the custom field
location matching the term
The search terms will be found within the full value, so searching for
office would find:
I love working in my office
This office is beautiful
Our offices are very noisy
Attention: checkboxes have the values
0 (not checked) and
You can mix the search term and use multiple meta-field queries:
location:homeoffice hello- find all entries matching the search term
hellowith the custom field
locationmatching the term
location:homeoffice contract:fulltime- find all entries with the custom field combination:
expired:0finds all items whose
There are also special operators, which can be used in conjunction with custom fields (since Kimai 1.19.1):
location:) will find all entries whose value in the
locationfield is either empty or not existing
~search term (e.g.
location:~) will find all entries that are missing the custom field (created before the field was created)
*search term (e.g.
location:*) will find all entries that have any value in the
locationfield (basically the opposite of